Large museums offer us an invaluable opportunity to come in contact with the cultural heritage of a whole series of previous generations. Priceless collections of works of art, culture and everyday objects attract millions of people every year.
Today we bring to your attention the top ten of the most visited museums in the world .
10. Vatican Museum( Musei Vaticani - Vatican, Rome, Italy) is visited annually by 4.7 million people. This complex includes 19 museums, the route along the expositions of which stretches for 7 kilometers!
9. National Gallery of Art( Washington, USA) annually receives 4.8 million visitors. In this museum one of the best collections of works of art of the Italian Renaissance and the Spanish baroque is collected.
8. National Gallery( The National Gallery - London, United Kingdom) ranks eighth in the ranking of the most visited museums with 4.9 million visitors a year. Free entrance, convenient location in the heart of the British capital and the richest collection of exhibits make this museum so attractive.
7. American Museum of Natural History( New York, USA) accepts 5 million visitors a year. The museum was opened in 1869 and today it also houses the planetarium and the IMAX cinema.
6. Tate Modern( London, United Kingdom) is a relatively young gallery of contemporary art, which is very popular due to the works of Dali, Magritte, Matisse and other famous authors. Tate is visited by 5 million people a year.
5. Metropolitan Museum( The Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York, USA) has a very rich collection of over 2 million works of art from antiquity to the present day. Every year, the museum is visited by 5.2 million people.
4. British Museum( London, UK) accepts 5.8 million visitors a year. His popularity has not declined for years, because to inspect at least part of the seven millionth collection of exhibits, it will take more than a day.
3. The National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institute( Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History - Washington, USA) is visited by 6.8 million people a year. The collection of the museum has 126 million exhibits.
2. The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum( Washington, USA) The annually receives 8.3 million visitors.50,000 original exhibits make up the world's largest collection of aircraft.
1. Louvre( Musee du Louvre - Paris, France) has been leading the ranking of the most visited museums of since 2008.Last year the museum was visited by 8.8 million people. The area of the Louvre - more than 160 thousand square meters.m, and the collection has over 350 000 exhibits.
Such a record number of visitors to the world museum complexes leaves no doubt that people, despite everything, appreciate their cultural heritage.