Probably the most common books in the world are the Bible and the Koran. But it is almost impossible to estimate the circulation and sales of these scriptures.
Therefore, in the current compilation 's best-selling books are collected, except for the aforementioned ones. The list includes works that were published in different countries and in a variety of dialects and languages.
- 10. Alchemist P. Coelho( 65 million copies)
- 9. Da Vinci - Brown D.( 80 million copies)
- 8. The Little Prince de Saint-Exupery A.( 80 million copies)
- 7. She - G. Ryder Haggard( 83 million copies)
- 6. The lion, the witch, the wardrobe - KS.Lewis( 85 million copies)
- 5. Ten Little Indians - A. Christie( 100 million copies)
- 4. Dream in the Red Chamber - Xueqin C.( over 100 million copies)
- 3. Tolkien J. Ronald R. -(More than 100 million copies)
- 2. Tolkien J. Ronald R. - Lord of the Rings( 150 million copies)
- 1. A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens CH D. D.( more than 200 million)copies)
10. Alchemist - P. Coelho( 65 million copies)
The plot of the novel is based on English folklore. The main character learns to know himself, going through the trials that fate has prepared for him. The novel was translated into 67 languages and published in 117 countries.
9. Da Vinci Code - Brown D.( 80 million copies)
The novel was published in 2003. Soon it was translated into 44 languages. The book was criticized by the representatives of the church. In 2006, the film was filmed, the main roles in the screen version were played by Audrey Tautou and Tom Hanks.
8. The Little Prince-de Saint-Exupery A.( 80 million copies)
This allegorical fairy tale was published in 1943.The book is not only a story, but also original illustrations. The work is translated into 180 languages and various dialects. Professional linguists consider the French version of the "Little Prince" an ideal tool for learning this language.
7. She - G. Ryder Haggard( 83 million copies)
Roman Haggard is dedicated to the collective image of an ideal woman. The plot tells about the expedition of the British to Central Africa. Heroes fall on the ground Aeshi - the ruler of the tribe of cannibals. The novel was written in 1887.
6. The Lion, the Witch, the Wardrobe - К.С.Lewis( 85 million copies)
This book from the series "The Chronicles of Narnia" was published in 1950.The work formed the basis for four screen versions. The book is included in the 100 best books of the world according to the edition of Time.
5. Ten Little Indians - A. Christie( 100 million copies)
This detective novel was written in 1939.The book is the best-selling work of the legendary Agatha Christie. The plot of the novel became the basis for the play, several adaptations and even for computer games.
4. Dream in the Red Chamber - Xueqin Ts.( Over 100 million copies)
This classic novel in Chinese was published in 1763.The book was repeatedly banned in China as "depraved."The novel is translated into Japanese, English, French and Russian.
3. Tolkien J. Ronald R. - Hobbit, or There and back( more than 100 million copies)
This story in the genre of fantasy was published in 1937.The first published translation of the "Hobbit" into Russian was released in 1976.Peak sales of the book fell in 2004-2011, when the screen version of the novels of Tolkien.
2. Tolkien J. Ronald R. - Lord of the Rings( 150 million copies)
The novel was written as a single work, but the publishers divided the voluminous book into three parts."The Lord of the Rings" is a voluminous continuation of the story "The Hobbit".Work on the novel lasted 12 long years - from January 1937 to October 1949.
1. A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens CH D.D.( over 200 million copies)
The world's best-selling book was first published in 1859.This historical novel is dedicated to the era of the French Revolution. The work was repeatedly filmed. Nevertheless, Russian-speaking readers are little acquainted with this book of Dickens. In the United Kingdom and the United States, the novel is a textbook work.