To host the Olympic Games is a great honor and at the same time a huge expense for any state. It has long been estimated that no one has been able to recoup the invested funds from the influx of tourists during the Olympics.
And to keep within the framework of the Olympic budget is not enough for anyone. On average, the overrun from originally planned funds for preparation for the Games is 180%.In Sochi, this figure is already approaching 500%.The scope of the Sochi Olympics will become even more noticeable if we study our current Top-7, which included the most expensive Olympic Games.
- 7. Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City 2002( budget - $ 1.5 billion)
- 6. Summer Olympics in Sydney 2000( budget - $ 4.1 billion)
- 5. Winter Olympics in Vancouver 2010( budget - $ 6 billion)
- 4. Summer Olympics in Athens 2004( budget - $ 11.6 billion)
- 3. Summer Olympics in London 2012( budget - $ 15 billion)
- 2. Summer Olympics in Beijing 2008( budget - $ 43 billion))
- 1. Winter Olympics in Sochi 2014( budget - $ 51 billion)
7. Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City 2002( budget - $ 1.5 billion)
This White Olympics was for the US seventh in a row. However, its budget exceeded the total costs for the six previous Olympics. After Salt Lake City, the States did not dare to take on such large-scale projects.
6. Summer Olympics in Sydney 2000( budget - $ 4.1 billion)
Of the huge budget, only $ 530 million( 13%) was spent on the construction of Olympic venues themselves. The rest of the funds went to transport infrastructure, security and the spectacular show.
5. Winter Olympics in Vancouver 2010( budget - $ 6 billion)
Initially, the Canadians planned to meet $ 600 million. However, the budget grew 10-fold, and the country had to sequester social expenditures, including the health care system, for the sake of the Games.
4. Summer Olympics in Athens 2004( budget - $ 11.6 billion)
Grandiose Games in Athens left already poor Greece in debt. If you divide all the non-recouped investments in the Athens Olympics, then the debt will be 50 thousand euros for each Greek family.
3. Summer Olympics in London 2012( budget - $ 15 billion)
London has hosted the Olympic Games three times, but the British have never incurred such costs as in 2012.About a billion dollars was spent only on security - the Games were guarded by 40,000 policemen and soldiers.
2. Summer Olympics in Beijing 2008( budget - $ 43 billion)
Almost half of the huge budget went to the construction of Olympic facilities. The more insulting is the fact that most of these grandiose objects have remained out of work and gradually come to desolation and are being destroyed.
1. Winter Olympics in Sochi 2014( budget - $ 51 billion)
It is still difficult to say how much is spent on the Olympics in Sochi, but most experts agree on a budget of $ 51 billion. Is it possible to rationally use the remaining objects after the Games, no one can say. But I really hope that the is the most expensive Olympiad in the history of . It will not trigger the economic crisis, as it happened in Greece, and the Olympic infrastructure has better application than in Beijing.