- Mole and its types
- How to destroy the mole?
- Physical methods of struggle
- Chemical methods
- Popular methods
Each of us has faced such an unpleasant phenomenon as a mole. Of all the known species of science, the following "butterflies" live in apartment houses: on the kitchens - a grain of moth, and in the living rooms the carpet, furniture, felt, clothing and fur moles feel great. The destruction of moths is not an easy process, for this it is necessary to get to know her closely and know what she likes, what she panically fears and avoids.to content ↑
Mole and its species
An ordinary moth is a small butterfly, the larvae of which feed on keratin( horny substance).It is extracted from wool, carpet nap and hairs of fur coats. Eating keratin, the larvae leave after themselves the products of vital activity, and thereby spoil the products.
Important! The larva can not eat all the fur coat or carpet, but it's not a problem for her to spoil the external appearance of the product, because one single larva can easily make a through hole in a usual woolen or half-wool sweater for 1 day.
In addition to keratin, caterpillars feed on technical felt, which is used in sound and heat insulation, as well as with bristles, fur, leather, feathers, dried fish and meat, museum collections, book bindings, etc. To search for food, larvae can gnaw throughin such materials as cotton, silk, synthetic fabrics, although in them they can not develop. Therefore, the destruction of moths must be comprehensive and thorough.
In its development the mole passes through several stages:
- Egg laying.
- Butterfly moth.
It's the fluttering white and yellow butterflies that we often see. Pest life is 1-2 months. Mass appearance of moles is observed in early May. The butterflies flutter till the middle of summer, and under favorable circumstances and conditions they can also meet in the winter. Flying around the room, the butterfly searches for a suitable place to lay eggs. Very often a moth's hotbed is any old wool thing, thrown into a closet or on a shelf in a corner. Therefore, if during a mass flight moths look into secluded places, then on woolen things you will find moth eggs that openly lie on the surface. When you are faced with this situation, urgently choose the method and begin the destruction of moths.
Important! At one time the female moth lays up to 100 eggs.
It is necessary to fight not so much with butterflies, as with the eggs that they lay, because it is the eggs that have emerged from the eggs that cause irreparable damage to the products.
To date, according to various sources, there are about 40 moths, the most common of which we will consider in the article. To domestic pests include: fur coat moth, furniture moth, dress moth, grain moth.
Insect glistening clay-yellow color. The front wings have two small dark dots in front of the middle of the wing and one large point behind the middle of the wing. The lower wings of the insect are light gray with yellowish reflections. In the scope of "butterflies" reach 15 mm.
These insects are fed mainly with clothes made of natural material. Caterpillars - vermiform, almost naked, have 8 short abdominal legs with transparent skin. The head is brown. The caterpillar feeds mainly on fur, lives in a portable case and bites all the hair on its way, regardless of whether it eats them or not.
This butterfly has larger dimensions compared with a fur coat moth. In the span reaches 20-22 mm. Fore wings at the base are violet-brown, and from the middle - light yellow, on the top of the wings a violet-brown speckle. Head puff - white.
The larva of the moth is similar in appearance to the larva of the fur coat moth. Lives in folds or inside drape, cloth cloth. Eats out vast spaces that are not visible from the outside, since the upper layer of matter it mostly leaves untouched. The larva is stationary.
Represents a butterfly of brilliant light yellow color. Fore wings at the base are brownish, the head is rusty-yellow. The furniture moth is isolated in a special form due to the absence of dental tentacles. The type of furniture moth was described by the St. Petersburg entomologist Gummel, and later was investigated by Radoshnovsky.
The larvae of furniture moths first eat the hair follicle of furniture, and before the pupation process they go outside and eat a variety of tracks in the furniture cover. Follow the caterpillars in the direction of the patterns of matter. Often, "pupae" moths can be found on the underside of chairs, sofas and other pieces of furniture. There gradually accumulate whole nests, consisting of white silky cocoons. In winter, caterpillars develop about 5 months, in summer - 2 months.
The process of pupation begins in February. Mass flight of butterflies is observed in March, April and May. The secondary appearance of moths is observed in July and August.
Important! Representatives of the above families of domestic pests are extremely tenacious and resistant to temperature changes. All 12 months of the year multiply. It can take more than a month without food, but if they find something edible for themselves, they are able to gnaw through polyethylene film or synthetic fabric to get to the treat. Therefore, the destruction of moths must be directed and effective.
In the presence of comfortable conditions: lack of ventilation, high humidity, the grain moth will become a full-fledged mistress in the kitchen. The female moth, having access to cereals, lays a large number of eggs in them, and small larvae that appear after a while will destroy everything around them: cereals of rice, wheat, rye, buckwheat, pasta, dried fruit, etc.
Representatives of grain moths have a silvery-white color with a brown pattern on the front wings and a gray belly. In the span butterflies reach 15 mm. Mass flight of butterflies is observed twice: in spring and in late summer.
Each female puts on grains up to 100 eggs, gluing 1-2 eggs per grain. The larva connects several grains into a bundle with the help of a spider web and dragging the entire bunch behind it, feeding on grains. The caterpillar itself is in a spider web. At the end of the development phase, the larva pupates in secluded places: crevices of cabinets, floors, walls or behind skirting boards. The grain moth can also develop in rotten wood and in tinderies.to the contents ↑
How to destroy the mole?
There are a lot of means and methods of pest control. You can use direct physical effects, chemical preparations or folk remedies that contribute to the destruction of moths. What exactly do you prefer to determine, based on what you have on hand, how much the mass population has divorced in your house, how quickly you would like to get the result. Also note how much personal time you can allocate for the destruction of moths. Next - read the proposed our most effective ways and start the fight.to content ↑
Physical methods of fighting
Physical methods involve creating extremely unfavorable conditions for the survival of butterflies and their offspring. The options can be as follows.
Method # 1
To get rid of moles, apply ultraviolet irradiation with direct sunlight or use a quartz lamp. Under the influence of direct rays of the sun, moth eggs will die within an hour, and in very hot summer weather - within 30 minutes.
Method No. 2
Heat treatment is also harmful to moths. Wash the infected thing on high heat, boil it, or treat it with steam.
Method # 3
If the products are heavily affected by the grain moth, they will have to be discarded. The remaining, less contaminated grains, go through and dry in the oven at a temperature of 60-70 C with the door ajar for 15-20 minutes. For the same purpose, you can use a microwave oven.
Important! Wardrobe where the mole dwelt must be washed inside with a warm soapy solution, rinse with clean water, and slit the slots and grooves with table vinegar with a brush. Open the cabinet for airing until it dries. If this is not done, the destruction of moths will be ineffective and soon you will notice new inhabitants of your edible stocks.
Method No. 4
Freezing will also lead to the death of the pest, and at all stages of development. Eggs and larvae will die within a day at a low temperature. Put things with pests in the freezer and leave it there for a while.
Important! Clothes and furniture moles die in the frost -10 C per day.to content ↑
There is no more radical means for the destruction of moth caterpillars than the Diclofos-based drug. In addition, Diclofos - this is the only effective remedy against kozheed. We recommend to treat the affected things with similar drugs.
Consider how to use household chemical products:
- Tablets and briquettes, which are an alloy of camphor and naphthalene, place in the upper parts of the cabinets. Couples of naphthalene and camphor will fall down and scare away the "butterflies" of moths. There are drugs for six months.
Important! This remedy is unsafe for human health, especially in high concentration.
- "Antimol" in tablets hang in a closet( 3-4 tablets per cabinet).After 2 weeks, discard the drug.
- "Desmol" is used in the same way as "Antimol".
- Preparations "Aeroantimol", "Suprozol", "Neofos", "Diclofos", "Supromite", "Reid antimol" - are on the market in the form of solutions and aerosols. With preparations, treat clothing, carpets and upholstered furniture. These contact means destroy both butterflies, and larvae, and eggs of insects. There are drugs for 3 months.
- Sections from moths. This is the most civilized form of antimony preparations. There are even special sections for the protection of children's things. The drug is used this way:
- Remove the protective tape.
- Place the section at the top of the cabinet.
- The action of one section extends to 0.5 m3.Change the drug is needed after 4-6 months.
Important! Sometimes chemicals do not have very pleasant odors, so do not buy funds in spontaneous markets or with hands. Do not buy funds whose packaging and name you have doubts, especially if the inscription is not in Russian. This is necessary to protect themselves and their household, since otherwise the destruction of moths will result in more serious problems.to content ↑
Our grandmothers did not know more effective moths than naphthalene. But as it turned out, the drug discourages only butterflies, and eggs and larvae do not destroy. In addition, volatile naphthalene is unsafe for human health.
Natural and safe fighters with moth can serve:
- Lavender and fir essential oils. Tampons soaked in oil will protect from pests things stored in the closet. You can also use bouquets of dry lavender.
- Pieces of cedar wood.
- Powder of peretrum( Caucasian chamomile).At 1 m square, scatter 3-4 g of powder. The powder can be sprayed from a rubber pear, and then leave the room tightly closed for several hours. After treatment, ventilate the room.
- Dried the orange peel on the cabinets.
- Vinegar. On a hot frying pan pour a few tablespoons of vinegar and close the frying pan in the closet. If you find a mole in a wardrobe, then pour vinegar on the scorching old iron or piece of brick. Put the processed object in the cabinet. In moles, the moth will die.
- Geranium. The scent of the plant repels the pest.
- Snuff or tobacco leaves can also be used in the fight against moth.
- The scent of pepper does not like "butterflies."
- Pieces of strawberry soap, put in a closet and suitcases, where woolen and fur things are stored.
- The smell of newspapers does not like the mole. Wrap the newspapers in fur hats and cover, so that there is not a single crack left. In the same way you can store woolen things.
Important! All herbal remedies serve only to discourage moth butterflies. If the pest occupies the cabinet, then using a bouquet of lavender is useless. In this case, to destroy moths without chemicals can not do.to the contents ↑
Flying butterflies are harmless insect males. As long as you chase after them with "applause", the females moth through the cracks and in the folds of the clothing are busy laying eggs, from which the omnivorous, gluttonous offspring hatches. Therefore, in order not to allow a mole into the apartment, regularly and in advance conduct preventive measures:
- Dry and ventilate all things at least 4 times a year. Bright sunlight, frosty air are harmful for woolen moths.
- Pillows, blankets, winter clothes before storage, clean and wash. Do not forget that dirt, fat and sweat are the favorite delicacy of wool moth larvae.
- Clean the apartment regularly. Vacuum clean carpets, soft and hard furniture. We recommend the use of a disinfectant during cleaning, for example, monochloramine.
- The eggs of the larvae are not tightly attached to the fibers of the carpets and clothes, therefore, shaking and vacuuming objects, you will easily get rid of egg clutches.
- Carpets carry out in the winter time on clean snow, in order to properly shake them and freeze them.
- To prevent the appearance of moths, before storing all clothing must be cleaned, washed, and then:
- Spray the products with a liquid preparation "Antimol contact".
- Allow things to dry.
- Fur and woolen things put in plastic bags.
- Put the fur coats in thick paper covers with an antifouling preparation.
Important! Before packing, shake all things to prevent eggs and a chance to stay on your favorite clothes.
- Fur coats and other fur products on hangers made of cedar wood. This smell repels the moth.
- Store whole groceries in tightly closed jars.
- Chemical washing of things also prevents the appearance of moths.
- Put a geranium flower on the window sill so that butterflies do not fly out of the window.
- In the pockets of wool clothing, lay out the following:
- Nut or tobacco leaves.
- Dry orange crusts.
- Ground chestnuts.
- Leaves of wormwood, mint, St. John's wort, the goddess.
The destruction of moths at home is a competent combination of all means, including preventive ones. First, the mole must be destroyed, and then prevented from re-entering it into the apartment. Use for such a comprehensive struggle all the means listed in the article. Good luck in the fight against the pest!