Tiles - a leader among the finishing materials for the kitchen. The tile has high strength, durable and does not show sensitivity to the aggressive environment of the room, where always something prepared. Kitchen apron - a single area located between the upper cupboards (shelves), a sink, a hob, a working surface. This area is considered the most "problematic", it is here that the highest level of contamination. Drops of water, oil, splashes from preparing eatables on the plate - all this settles on a kitchen apron. In addition, it easy to accidentally hit the lid of the pan or ladle during cooking. Because of this region can not finish a conventional coating. The material should have a strength and no fear of detergents. Making kitchen apron is generally performed by a ceramic tile. This coating not only provides protection for problem areas, but also allows you to create an emphasis in the interior, its flavor. Consider the advantages of aprons for kitchen tiles, their characteristics and ways of packing material.
- Features and benefits of the apron of tile
- Basic tile selection criteria
- Colors and style
- mirrored apron
- metal apron
Features and benefits of the apron of tile
Ceramic tile or tiles - versatile material for rooms with difficult climate (bathroom, kitchen). It is used for finishing the floor, walls and kitchen aprons. In comparison with other tile materials has several advantages:
- Tile has a margin of safety. With proper care, the coating will last for decades.
- With smooth tiled surfaces are easy to wash traces of contamination. The material is not afraid of no water or aggressive household chemicals, including compositions with an abrasive effect.
- Ceramic tiles withstand both low and high temperatures. A tile does not react to changes in humidity, which is not true of wood, for example.
- Simplicity and variety of styling options. With this finishing material to cope even novice.
- A rich palette of colors and patterns. Pick up the tiles for a specific style is very simple, because the range of another force to oscillate between several options. Modern hardware store offers a wide selection of tiles with large prints and full picture.
Of the few shortcomings noted tiles:
- The need for careful care of the joints. They regularly have to update by using grout.
- Before installing the tiles have to dismiss all the furniture wall.
- Dismantle the apron of tile is difficult.
- The wall surface must be perfectly flat.
In comparison with other materials, ceramic tile becomes the undisputed leader for finishing kitchen aprons.
Basic tile selection criteria
Unfortunately, due to the large variety of species, not every kind of ceramic tiles for decoration kitchen apron. In this case, a rich assortment played a cruel joke with the material, often setting the stage for customers to a standstill. When choosing ceramic tiles should be guided by three criteria:
- Design (appearance).
Tile cladding kitchen apron should have the following characteristics:
- Low porosity of the material and increased resistance to acids. This will allow easy to wash the surface of the apron and do not worry about the destruction of the material, which it is decorated.
- The glossy surface. Textured tiles are not suitable for aprons. The presence of relief complicate the cleaning, as in small depressions is clogged oil and dirt.
- Tiles should be designed specifically for wall decoration. Such a material has a specific marking (hand icon). Tiles for floors are thicker and stronger, but the decoration of the walls of these characteristics are useless.
- The presence of the protective layer, which protects the foundation from damage. On this series of tiles is worth marking "AA" or "A".
- The thickness of the tile for kitchen apron shall vary within 0.6-1 cm.
As for the design of tiles, the monotonous square tiles have long been competing with ceramics of unusual shapes and colors. All modules are rectangular shapes under the bricks are more common in modern interiors (hog) hexagonal "honeycomb" and even the squares and triangles with wavy edges (an excellent addition to Art Nouveau). The latter can be found in the author's collection of decorative materials. Color range is also pleased with the variety of buyers. Fashion effect "Ombre" was picked up by manufacturers of ceramic tile. Items with color gradation, where the shades are selected on the basis of analogy from dark to light, unusual hint will join the kitchen interior. Floral ornaments, ornate patterns, complex geometry, whole landscapes and panoramas - the range of design variations of the cover is really huge.
Product quality can be checked in the store. It is necessary to selectively take two tiles to compare. First, combining both fragments, it is necessary to check how smooth the edges. The gap between them should be less than 0.05 cm. In addition the tile which is laid seamless method, the gap between the tiles in general should not be. Next, check for rough edges, chips, cracks, "color spots" - places uneven staining the front surface. All these defects are considered marriage. On the back side of the chips, too, should not be, but the terrain provides good coupling between the tiles and the surface, so the "roughness" is obligatory.
See also:Kitchen design in brezhnevki: expanding space
Colors and style
For classic dishes more suited restrained colors: beige, cream, white, burgundy, coffee. Also rejects the classic decoration "marbled". Tile in kitchen apron pictures can overlap with countertop or floor lining. The trendy Scandinavian direction using blue, turquoise, green and blue colors. The interior in the style of Provence (subspecies country) combine patterned tile with one color, to create a light and rustic atmosphere of ease and simplicity. For Art Deco (Art Nouveau) suitable tiles of black, gray, purple, blue. Apron for the kitchen in the loft-style trim tiles "Brick" red, brown, white, cherry shades. By the same interior fit tiles, which mimics the surface of the wood texture. The eclectic kitchen apron area usually becomes accent. Therefore, for its design tiles used bright colors: yellow, green, pink. For modern kitchens in high-tech style fit "silver" and mirror coating, black glossy tiles. Ethnic Moroccan interiors decorated with colored tiles with a complex pattern. They also fit inlay technique where a motley tiles alternating with solid color (purple, blue, yellow). The color scheme of marine style is limited to shades of brown and yellow (simulates sand), and blue (ocean, sea). For minimalist selected combination of dark and light tones. For example, white and accent purple, turquoise, green, terracotta.
Designers recommend to select the color for ceramic apron or a large object (set), or by the rest of the decoration. If the choice is to do nothing fails, then stop by neutrals: white, black, gray.
Depending on the type of raw material and production technology ceramic tiles are classified into the following types:
- Monokottura. Raw materials (white clay) is subjected to single firing. Monokottura has high strength, heavy weight and is mainly used for finishing the floor.
- Bikottura. Double-fired tiles from red clay is lightweight and is considered solely covering material for walls. Apron fit.
- Monoporosa. It has a high porosity and is not suitable for the finishing of the kitchen apron.
- Clinker. Tile prepared by extrusion. Clinker tile has increased strength. In most cases, the surface coated with a special "gloss" - a thin layer of glass. Suitable for both the flooring, as well as for kitchen aprons.
- Cotto. Tiles made of red clay, made by extrusion technology. For the walls rarely used. It has a matte surface, but is sometimes used for lining the kitchen aprons.
- Majolica. The material has a macroporous structure, is therefore not suitable for finishing apron.
Depending on the shape of the tiles are classified into the following types:
- Square. The classical form of tiles. Square tiles can not be called boring, because the brevity of form is filled a rich assortment of colors, patterns and textures.
- Rectangular. The common people called hog or "metro". It has facets at the edges, which give the apron volume and strengthen the similarity between the tile and natural brickwork. Laid tiles typically vrazbezhku, i.e. face of each brick coincides with the midpoint of rings stacked above and below.
- Hexagon. This form is sometimes referred to as cells, as tiles are reminiscent of bees wax cells. On the kitchen apron looks stylish, fresh and original.
- Mosaic. It is basically a square tile, but it is very small in size, from which the collected drawings.
- Patchwork. It has a square shape. Each tile is covered with a special pattern, and along the surface like a "patchwork quilt" that is assembled from assorted pieces of patterns that do not match.
- Figured. This group includes any tile complex geometries (sometimes with wavy edges).
There is another kind of tile that defies classification. Method for laying tiles or on the surface of the image creating 3-D effect. The most primitive version is considered laying "diamond", which was used in ancient times when facing the tracks and platforms. The result was a relief, convex geometric pattern. Some aprons spread tiles - tiles made of baked clay with a glossy surface. They have an impressive thickness, therefore not suitable for every interior. Especially for the kitchen aprons can select a set of tiles, which are collected in a single picture. On their surface pattern applied by printing (landscape, panning, still life, the composition of flowers), which fix the top protective layer.
See also:Tiles for kitchen: 75 photo tile ideas for floor and apron
As for the size of the apron, its width and height are selected individually for each apartment. The following nuances should be considered:
- Panel view. The standard for gas cookers aprons do slightly higher due to the greater distance between the hood and the cooking surface.
- The height of the top of the headset. Her calculate, based on the kitchen hostess growth. She should be easy to reach to the upper cabinets. And already on the shelves height calculate the size of the apron.
- Stocks. Apron to protect the walls have to go to 2-3 cm beyond the headset.
The width of the apron only affects the "accuracy" of accommodation hob, sink, work area on the table. Here, too, it is necessary to make small stocks.
For decoration apron generally selected standard tiles 10x10 cm. Slightly less common larger versions:
- Rectangular tiles 10h30.
- Large square tiles 20x20.
And even more rarely rectangular "hog" in size 20x30. Large tiles are not recommended to spread aprons in small cramped kitchens. For these rooms any large items or prints fall under a taboo, as they make the room visually less. But in large spaces such drawing is not exactly lost.
To work with the tiles need the following materials:
- Leveling mass (filler).
- Tile adhesive.
Equalizing mass is embedded cracks and surface defects walls, pre-cleaned from dirt and old coating. Then it primed. Next, in the dried up surface applied pre-diluted glue and fix the tile. The work begins with a flashing center. After she "grabs", carried out grouting. At the end of the edge is filled with silicone sealant.
In addition to the variety of colors, drawings / patterns and textures, there are also many options for laying of ceramic tiles. Creative individuals tend to choose complex ways, "ornament", "Kaleidoscope", modular, mosaic. In the first two embodiments are combined tiles of the same size but different colors and patterns on dissimilar surfaces. Before you laid, it is recommended to make a drawing of the finished picture. For modular fashion are typically selected tile of two or three different sizes and combine it, as prompted by fantasy. The mosaic method involves assembling "tile panels" of small parts. The work could be delayed for weeks, but the result is worth it. For these purposes, sell special little tiles. Even more prosaic options (herringbone, standard, brick laying) may look beautiful and unusual, if you carefully pick up the tiles of several colors.
This method is also called a classic. Tiles stacked "seam in the seam." Tile forming straight rows without offsets. This option is suitable for most styles. It is simple in design and economical in terms of material consumption. Typically, a tile used the same shade, or provide contrast or color gradation with smooth transitions tones.
Another simple option of laying the tile. Tiles are placed along diagonal lines. The result is a series of correct diamond. The top and bottom ends triangles apron. If we make the calculations correctly, the material consumption will be the same as in the standard method of stacking. Tile simple split in the middle into two triangles, which are used for decoration of the apron edges. Diagonal method is often combined with the standard.
Stacking with offset look good on a hot plate of a rectangular shape. Examples of this process can be seen on the walls of brick buildings. Each subsequent row is shifted by half the width of the "pig". It turns out that the joint between the tiles is strictly middle of the tile from the previous row. This option is suitable for loft-style high-tech, fusion. It looks great stacking with a shift on the mirror and the metal plate. From the viewpoint of material economy and practicality of this method it is in line with the standard and diagonal.
For the layout of tiles "pylon" is used herringbone. Only from rectangular tiles to obtain this figure. "Tree" is also used for wood flooring. First, on the wall surface of the applied marking. In this case of great importance measurement accuracy and quality of tiles. Since when laying herringbone perfectly visible seams, and the slightest discrepancy between the fragments will immediately become visible. Experts advise to choose the goods of one party in order to protect themselves from the fiasco and refolding. From tile form rows, reminiscent of the structure of this tree. Each "branch" slightly overlaps the adjacent, which intersect at right angles diagonally. This decor will be appropriate in a classic, rustic and even some modern styles. In the latter case, more important is the color of the tile.
See also:Design black and white kitchen: design ideas
This method of laying got its name because of the similarity of the apron with a chessboard. As a rule, use tiles of two colors. If the apron should be a focus, then pick two contrasting tones. A tile laid standard or diagonal manner. However, each tile of the same color must be surrounded by a tile of another color. Sometimes, the two tones add a third insert or fragments with an ornament to enliven the surface, making it more frivolous. Such an option suited to the style of the country.
Linear way for the implementation of stacking is no different from the standard. In this case, a greater importance is attached duo texture and color tiles. They combine in various combinations, but subject to the same rules: the line formed from the same type of tile. This option is ideal for cramped kitchens with a small apron. Horizontal lines move apart visually space in width.
Stacking "Kaleidoscope" is suitable for the naughty, optimistic interiors, eclectic interiors. To finish using tiles of different colors and textures, which are laid out in a chaotic manner. This is a great option to show the creative side of his personality. In many ways resembles a kaleidoscope mosaic method. To work, you can buy a set of tiles "patchwork".
Apron mirror tiles - luxury decorative solution for stylish kitchens. At the core of the material is tempered glass. It is slightly inferior to the ceramic strength, but the difference is minimal. Due to the reflective surface can visually enlarge the room. Tile diamond shaped a bit like a coach tie and suitable not only for classical music, but also for the whimsical style of the palace. The main drawback of such a surface is its soiled. Any drips water, fingerprints or fat droplets bryznuvshego must be immediately cleaned off with the tile, otherwise it will look neuhozheno. Mirror surface can not be cleaned with abrasive effect means.
metal apron become a fashionable trend in recent years. Designers willing to use this solution for the decoration of dishes in the style of hi-tech and loft. Many people mistakenly believe that the steel appears too "cold". Its "temperature" can be increased by surrounding objects and finishes. Metal aprons are nice element of the interior, if combined with wood, textured plaster, granite, stone, warm colors or vinyl wallpaper in pastel colors. Another embodiment of a combination of organic - steel and glass surfaces. Metal aprons can be matte and glossy. The first option is perfect for small kitchens. stainless steel apron can be manufactured by the hands, cutting the sheet to a desired size or collecting it from the mosaic pieces in the art. With mirrored tiles they share a common flaw - soiled.
When buying tiles necessarily pay attention to the labeling of the tone. The fact is that during firing shades of the material may change. At first glance it may seem like a small difference, but the difference will become apparent when comparing the two samples. There is also such a thing as the difference between the reference and the real size of the tile. It is indicated on each batch of caliber. When full compliance will be zero. When size is greater than 1 mm, then the tile layout problems with mismatched seams. In this case, you need to buy any other tiles, or to pick up the party with the same caliber. You also can not forget about the stock of the material that will be required to fit the apron under the desired dimensions: draw the edges or fold intricate pattern of tiles with intricate styling.