Volcanoes are the place where magma comes to the surface of the planet. It's simple. But up to now this is almost an unexplored natural element, which causes great destruction to human settlements, but at the same time it is a spectacle that can not but fascinate. Particularly beautiful and dangerous are the large volcanoes that everyone should be aware of.
10. Mauna Loa - a volcano in the Pacific Ocean on the island of Hawaii, is known for its truly gigantic dimensions, its height reaches 4170 meters, but the volume of the constituent material is 80,000 cubic kilometers. The last volcanic eruption occurred in 1984.
9. Tahumulko - the highest point in Central America and Guatemala, 4220 meters above sea level. It has two peaks: a young one on the western part of the cone, and an old one on the eastern side. To date, the volcano is asleep, there is not even information about the recent eruptions.
8. Rainier is a volcano in the state of Washington, 4392 meters high. It is the highest point of the Cascade Mountains. The volcano is asleep, the last small eruption was in 1854, but activity was manifested until 1894.
7. Klyuchevskaya Sopka is an active volcano with a height of 5000 meters. Located in the east of the Kamchatka peninsula, it is in constant activity: in 2010, it threatened air aviation.
6. Sangai - a volcano on the slope of the Andes in Ecuador. Height above sea level - 5230 meters. The basis of the mountain is an ancient volcano, but the upper part is the young rocks that make up the cone. Since 1728, constantly threw away ash and vapors, the last eruption was in 1975.
5. Nevado del Oyla - a volcano with a height of 5365 meters is located in Colombia, and is the highest point of the country. Until 2007, the volcano was considered invalid, as it was inactive for more than 500 years, but then began to exhibit insignificant seismic activity.
4. Orizaba is a tourist attraction of Mexico, it is the highest mountain in the country. Its height is 5700 meters, and the last eruption of the volcano occurred in 1687.The highest activity of the volcano occurred in the XVI-XVII century.
3. Cotopaxi( Kotopashi) is the most active volcano of Ecuador, since 1738 it erupted more than 50 times. The last eruption in 1976.Its height is 5897 meters, above 4700 meters is covered by glaciers. Interestingly, in form, it is almost an ideal cone.
2. Ljulaljako - is the highest volcano in the world , which is located on the border of Chile and Argentina. Its height is 6723 meters. The volcano is active, although the last eruption was in 1877, and to date its top is covered with glaciers.
1. There are thousands of huge volcanoes on the Earth, but if there are places where there are bigger ones. For example, on Mars. Some volcanoes reach there simply incredible sizes. The largest of them is Olympus. In the rating of large volcanoes , it is undoubtedly in the first place. It rises above the surrounding area by 24 kilometers! This is the largest volcano of the in the Solar System.