These disgusting examples of senseless cruelty do not cease to terrify even years later. Terrorist acts inflict damage, first of all, on the psychological state of people. While the country's economy is recovering from the consequences of the terrorist attack for several months, the sense of insecurity among civilians does not disappear for years.
In our today's top ten collected the most high-profile terrorist acts of the XXI century according to RBC.Rating.
- 10. Explosions in Kakheti( 14.08.2007, Iraq).
- 9. Explosions in London( 07.07.2005 and 21.07.2005, Great Britain).
- 8. Terrorist act in Beslan( September 1, 2004 - September 3, 2004, Russia)
- 7. A series of explosions in Iraq( 24.06.2004, Iraq).
- 6. Terror acts in Madrid( March 11, 2004, Spain).
- 5. Explosions in the Moscow metro( 06.02.2004 and 29.03.2010, Russia).
- 4. Terror acts in Istanbul( 15.11.2003 and 20.11.2003, Turkey).
- 3. Terrorist attack on Dubrovka( "Nord-Ost")( October 23, 2002 - October 26, 2002, Russia).
- 2. Terrorist acts in Bali( 12.10.2002, Indonesia).
- 1. The terrorist act of September 11, 2001( September 11, 2001, USA).
10. Explosions in Kakheti( 14.08.2007, Iraq).
The town of Kakhtanya, inhabited by Yezidi Kurds belonging to a religious minority, was chosen as the target of terrorists who blew up 4 petrol tankers with explosives. At least 500 people were injured as a result of the explosions.
9. Explosions in London( 07/07/2005 and 21/07/2005, Great Britain).
The first four explosions in the London subway killed 52 people, injuring about 700 more. The second series of attacks, fortunately, did without casualties. All surviving terrorists were brought to justice.
8. Terrorist act in Beslan( September 1, 2004 - September 3, 2004, Russia) The
is one of the most brutal in history. For more than two days the terrorists held about 1100 people, mostly children, hostage. As a result of the terrorist attack, 334 people died, 186 of whom were children. The only surviving terrorist was sentenced to life imprisonment.
7. Series of explosions in Iraq( 24.06.2004, Iraq).
A series of bombings and attacks on police stations affected five cities in the country. Killed more than 70 people, dozens were seriously injured.
6. Terror acts in Madrid( 11.03.2004, Spain).
held 3 days before the parliamentary elections. As a result of four explosions in the cars of electric trains, 191 people were killed, 2050 passengers were injured. It is noteworthy that the explosions took place exactly 911 days after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 in the United States.
5. Explosions in the Moscow metro( 06.02.2004 and 29.03.2010, Russia).
In 2004, 41 people were killed and 250 wounded because of a suicide bomber. In 2010, two explosions killed as many as 41 people, injuring 88 people. Doku Umarov took responsibility for the last terrorist attack.
4. Terror acts in Istanbul( 15.11.2003 and 20.11.2003, Turkey).
As a result of the first terrorist attack, suicide bombers killed 25 people, injuring more than 300 people. Five days later, another 28 people were killed and 450 injured as a result of a series of explosions. Responsibility for the terrorist attacks was assumed by Al-Qaeda, as well as Islamist group of radicals "Front of Islamic conquerors of the Great East".
3. Terrorist attack on Dubrovka( "Nord-Ost")( October 23, 2002 - October 26, 2002, Russia).
A group of armed terrorists detained for several days 916 people in the building of the housing complex of OJSC "Moscow Bearing".As a result of the operation of the security forces, all the militants were eliminated. According to official statistics, 130 hostages were killed. Shamil Basayev took responsibility for the attack.
2. Terrorist acts in Bali( 12.10.2002, Indonesia).
The largest terrorist attack in the history of Indonesia killed 202 people, 164 of whom were foreigners. Responsible for the three explosions was recognized as the radical organization "Jemaah Islamiya."Three organizers were sentenced to death.
1. The terrorist act of September 11, 2001( September 11, 2001, USA).
Responsibility for The world's largest terrorist attack of was taken over by the Al Qaeda organization. Nineteen terrorists, having captured four passenger airliners, conducted a suicidal attack unprecedented in their large-scale cruelty. As a result of the crash of aircraft, the destruction of the towers of the World Trade Center and damage to the Pentagon building, 2,974 people were killed.