How to choose the compression stockings and choose the right size
Among the various ways to prevent and treat diseases of the venous leg system, compression knitwear plays a special role. To get the desired therapeutic effect, the laundry should be properly selected. With the help of our article you will learn how to choose suitable compression stockings.
- The best manufacturers of compression stockings
- The principle of operation and the device of compression stockings
- Varieties of compression stockings
- Parameters of the choice of compression stockings
- Which compression stockings to choose
- How much does the compression stocking
The best manufacturers of compression stockings - which firm to choose
For compression linings withstoodnecessary time interval of socks, was resistant to stretching, tightening and provided a therapeutic effect,ybirat product from reputable companies.
The following companies observe the strictest quality control in production:
1. Medi Bayreuth
3. of Bamberg
4. Julius Zorn
The products of these brands underwent various verification procedures and multiple clinical tests. Products meet the high quality standard RAL, which indicates their therapeutic effect due to the physiological distribution of pressure.
Find out which compression stockings are considered the best, you can from our rating.
Principle of operation and the device of compression stockings
Compression stockings are products for the treatment and prevention of blood flow disorders in the legs. Lingerie improves blood microcirculation in the tissues of the lower limbs and prevents venous congestion. People who wear compression knitwear get tired much less by the evening;stockings exert constant pressure on the surface of the skin, prevent the appearance of edema, improve the supply of oxygen in the tissue and prevent thrombosis.
Products exert pressure in a special way. Unlike pulling tights in stockings, it is distributed from the bottom up: in the region of the ankle, the pressure is maximum, in the knee region - the average, in the thigh area - the minimum. This action resembles the load that is created by the work of the muscles during movement, this contributes to an increase in the rate of outflow of blood from the veins of the legs. In addition, stockings do not press on the stomach and differ aesthetic appearance.
This product is indispensable for the prevention and treatment of varicose veins due to the following factors:
- high content of elastic materials;
- no seams;
- hypoallergenicity, air permeability;
- is a special weaving that provides pressure in the required areas;
- formed stop.
In addition to prevention and treatment of varicose veins, indications for wearing compression stockings are:
- permanent fatigue and leg pain;
- the presence of edema;
- regular burning in the heels;
- excess weight;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- spider veins;
- is a genetic predisposition to varicose veins.
It is also recommended to wear products during pregnancy, when a woman feels high pressure in the legs, thus,future mother will be able to avoid problems with veins, blood vessels and capillaries.
Previously, doctors recommended using an elastic bandage in such cases. But according to its characteristics it is much inferior to compression linen:
- is long and inconvenient to impose on painful places;
- the tightening level is created manually;
- bandages slip.
Types of Compression Stockings
Compression knitwear is used as a prophylaxis and treatment for varicose veins. In the latter case, depending on the stage of the disease, a certain compression class is assigned( compression - pressure distribution level, measured in mm Hg).There are 4 classes in total. The more neglected the situation, the greater the compression effect is needed, so the choice in each case should be based on the individual characteristics of the patient.
Compression up to 18 mm Hg. Linen normalizes blood pressure in the veins, prevents accumulation of excess fluid in the ankles and the appearance of edema. It is recommended to wear the products for prevention of venous stasis, with increased fatigue of the legs, if the activity is associated with a prolonged static position( standing, sitting), during pregnancy, with a genetic predisposition to varicose veins. Also, compression knitwear is used by athletes, tk.products tighten muscles, prevent friction, accelerate recovery after training.
- free sale in pharmacies, stores;
- linen retains the beautiful appearance of the feet and improves their overall condition;
- improves microcirculation in tissues, venous and lymphatic outflow;
- qualitative prevention of varicose veins, thrombosis.
- is not recommended to spin and wash in a washing machine, the water temperature for wet processing should not exceed 40( washing with liquid soap or shampoo is recommended).
1st compression class
Compression up to 23 mm Hg. Linen provides graduated compression of the legs, functionally distributed from the foot to the hip. These products are recommended with barely noticeable manifestations of varicose veins: the appearance of small vascular asterisks, the expansion of venous walls. Also this class is used to prevent disruption of the circulatory system in the lower limbs. Products are in high demand among inactive people and pregnant women. Advantages:
- product slows the progression of the disease;
- increases the overall muscle tone of the lower limbs due to massage action;
- promotes proper blood circulation;
- reduces swelling and a feeling of fatigue in the legs.
- is not recommended for use at night;this can worsen the flow of lymph and blood to the legs;
- products are contraindicated for dermatitis, open wounds, trophic ulcers.
2nd compression class
Compression up to 33 mm Hg. Due to the correct selection of the texture of the yarn and materials, the linen creates pressure on the surface of the skin of the legs and perfectly supports the veins. Products do not allow the appearance of nodes in the vessels. Lingerie is recommended for the treatment of progressive forms of diseases: varicose veins and thrombophlebitis( inflammation of the internal venous walls with the appearance of a thrombus in the lumen of the vein).
- prevents the expansion of veins;
- eliminates the feeling of heaviness in the legs;
- improves blood flow;
- removes puffiness;
- lasting therapeutic effect even with daily wearing.
- must be periodically tightened, becausestockings can slide down and disrupt the uniformity of pressure;
- is not recommended for severe dermatological problems.
Compression class 3
Compression up to 44 mm Hg. Lingerie has a strong compression action, so use it only on the advice of a doctor. Under the influence of pressure, venous lumens narrow, and sagging areas with stagnant blood are tightened, soblood circulation improves. Anti-varicose stockings of this class differ in density, opacity, strength( almost do not stretch).In some models, Clima Fresh technology is used( in the linen weave a thread with silver ion spraying), which has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal effects. The products are prescribed for severe venous insufficiency with a violation of cellular nutrition, deep vein thrombosis.
- products improve the outflow of blood from the periphery to the center;
- stops the progression of the disease;
- inhibits the stagnation of blood;
- reduce the load, facilitate walking;
- minimizes the likelihood of vein thrombosis.
- contraindications: atherosclerosis, aortoarteriitis, thromboangiitis obliterans, endarteritis.
4 compression class
Compression ≥ 50 mm Hg. This is not the most common knitted product, which is prescribed by the doctor in exceptional cases. Lingerie is intended for the treatment of severe forms of varicose veins, it is also used to eliminate violations of lymph drainage, severe swelling. Sometimes elastic bandages with a low degree of extensibility are used instead of similar knitting.
- strong pulling action;
- product effectively reduces swelling;
- reduces pain and heaviness in the legs, diameter of the dilated veins;
- improves venous outflow and oxygen supply to muscle tissue.
- indications for use are severely restricted;
- requires a doctor's prescription;
- underwear is difficult to find on sale.
Compression stock selection parameters
What to look for
1. Compression class
This parameter shows the total pressure exerted on the skin surface. To choose is necessary proceeding from the purpose of socks of compression stockings - prophylaxis or treatment of venous disturbances. In the latter case, the phlebologist will determine the degree of pathology, which will determine the required compression class and, if necessary, prescribe medication.
The range of compression linen includes products for men and women. The former often have a sporty style. The latter can have a classic appearance or be complemented by elegant lace gum. In addition, stockings are available in different colors, which will allow them to be worn under any clothing.
Compression jersey fabric is manufactured using special technology. It contains synthetics, which provides elasticity and compression effect. The material does not heat, it is not hot, it hardly drags. Hypoallergenicity of the product is also an important parameter. If the packaging contains Oeko-Tex Standard 100 marking, this means that the product complies with the European standard of environmental safety.
4. Material texture
This parameter displays the density of the fabric( DEN), i.e.the ratio of the length of the filaments to their mass. This characteristic does not affect the compression properties of the product, so if the stockings indicate only this parameter without a compression class, then the product is a fake.
5. Place of purchase
There are a lot of fakes for compression underwear on sale, so you only need to purchase products in specialized outlets.
How to choose the size of the
In order to determine the size of stockings, the following foot parameters should be measured:
1. Girth of the narrowest leg( a).
2. Girth of the widest leg location( b).
3. Thigh circumference 5 cm below the perineum( c).
4. The length of the leg( measured from the heel to the measurement site of the hip circumference( d)).
The results of the measurements should be compared with the following table to help you know your size:
Which compression stockings to choose
1. If the compression lingerie is purchasedaetsya for prevention of varicose veins of legs, for sport or for reducing fatigue and heaviness in the legs, it is necessary to choose the preventive stockings with compression up to 18 mm Hg.
2. If the first manifestations of varicose veins are noticeable: small vascular asterisks, vascular network, dilated veins, heaviness and pain in the legs, it is better to purchase 1-grade compression clothing.
3. If the disease is in a progressive form - the asterisks on the legs become more noticeable, swelling is present, venous blue nodes appear, which increase with prolonged walking or sitting, then compression stockings of the 2nd class are necessary.
4. When the above symptoms are accompanied by a constant intolerable pain in the legs, it is better to purchase a 3 grade compression product.
5. Class 4 is used for advanced forms of varicose veins. You can buy this under the prescription only.
How much are the compression stockings
1. The cost of preventive compression stockings: 1300-4200 p.
2. Cost of compression stockings of 1 class: 1600-5300 r.
3. Cost of compression stockings of 2 classes: 1800-6300.
4. Cost of compression stockings of 3 classes: 2600-9800 р.
5. Cost of compression stockings of 4 class: ≥ 6000 р.